Monday, January 15, 2018

Wednesdays at Forty-Something: Off to a Good Start

Things definitely got better from the latter part of October 2017 to the present.  Those six weeks at the end of Summer were a challenge that took some time to get beyond.  Despite all the hurdles that came up during that time, I was able to maintain my grades to such a level that I made Dean's List for the Fall 2017 term.  I'm quite proud of that, especially considering that I missed numerous days throughout the 14 week term.

This term, I anticipate doing even better.  My focus was split in too many directions during the last one and, after spending a wonderful weekend with my fella in his part of the country, I was able to come back refocused; or, more specifically, just focused.  After reading an article that came across my facebook feed about digging deeper into the things that you already have on hand or have already started to learn--Go Deeper, Not Wider--I decided to stop trying new things.  I've started many new things in the 18 months since I retired but I haven't gotten good at any of them.  I've bought so many books with the intention of reading them yet I have numerous untouched books on the shelves already.

I'm going to read those books.  I'm going to dig into the things that I've already started yet am nowhere near having mastered.  I'm going to focus on what is already IN my life rather than dragging more into it, in hopes that those things somehow change it and make it better than what it already is.

I'm going to, not necessarily be more present, but work even more to not "Click" my way through the moments that are currently happening.  If you've seen the Adam Sandler movie you'll know what I'm talking about.  I don't want to rush through the unpleasant things just because they're unpleasant.  I will dig into them to discover WHY they're unpleasant or WHAT the lesson is to be taken away from the situation.  I did that with the situation with Dominique.  Why did I go through that?  What really prompted me to make that choice?  The conclusion was an interesting one that I won't soon forget.

So, on the days that I'm able, I make a list of the things that I want to accomplish that day and each evening, I check off what is done.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment AND helps me to keep the focus on the things that really matter and on the things that will bring value to my life as well as keep me continuing down that path that brings me the most joy and contentment in my life.

It's through finding our own joy that we're able to share that with others because we attract what we think.  I want only positive vibes in my universe.



No comments: